The series of animals by Marcel van Balken in lost places is a conceptual serie of old, derelict and no longer inhabited buildings with a rich history. Characteristic, abandoned locations all photographic sets where the ‘lost memories’ of the former residents, symbolized by an animal, have been recreated and photographed again. The combination of the real history and the no longer existing residents, thus creates an almost poetic, new image of symbolic memories from days gone by.
As a conceptual photographer he is interested in specific themes with an absolute preference for altered, creative photography. Marcel moves as a photographer ideally in the field of surrealism and magic realism. He prefers to create photographic images inspired by everyday reality combined with his own imagination. He strives to carefully compose photographic compositions of realistic looking scenes in unreal and sometimes magical spheres.
The conceptual pictures and series made by Marcel van Balken are characterized by some form of control by him. He influences the images so that the photo series expresses what he wants. This influencing can be in the scene to be photographed, but also afterwards, by the use of image manipulation.
Over the past years he won more than 8000 acceptances and 950 international photography awards from different competitions and photosalons all over the world, including Prix de la Photographie Paris, Siena International Photo Award, International Color Awards. His photographs have been exhibited in e.g. Amsterdam, Paris, London, New York, Berlin, and many more.
He is a self-taught, conceptual photographer from the Netherlands. Recently he received the ‘Master' distinction (MPSA) of the Photography Photographic Society of America and the title of MFIAP (MASTER Fédération Internationale de l'Art Photographique) and the highest level of FIAP, EFIAP/d3.
In his photobook 'Conceptuele Fotografie' (excellent print quality) Marcel shows how his images are created from a previously thought-out idea or concept. You will be stimulated and inspired by more than 100 creative and (inter) nationally awarded photos. For the enthusiasts a nice photo book that can be ordered for only € 34.95 (excl. shipping costs) at www.photure.nl or send an email
- MFIAP (MASTER Fédération Internationale de l'Art Photographique)
- MPSA (Master in Photography Photographic Society of America)
- EFIAP/d2 (Excellence Fédération Internationale de l'Art Photographique DIAMOND)
- EFIAP/d1 (Excellence Fédération Internationale de l'Art Photographique DIAMOND)
- EFIAP/p (Excellence Fédération Internationale de l'Art Photographique PLATINUM)
- EPSA (Excellence in Photography Photographic Society of America)
- EFIAP/g (Excellence Fédération Internationale de l'Art Photographique GOLD)
- PPSA (Proficiency in Photography Photographic Society of America)
- RISF-3 (Reconnaissance level 3) Image sans frontier
- EFIAP/s (Excellence Fédération Internationale de l'Art Photographique silver)
- EFIAP/b (Excellence Fédération Internationale de l'Art Photographique bronze)
- EFIAP (Excellence Fédération Internationale de l'Art Photographique)
- Ehrenloge Deutscher Amateurfotogafen (ELDAF)
- AFIAP (Artist Fédération Internationale de l'Art Photographique)
Journalism and running an online magazine costs money. Our online magazine is free of advertisements – we finance our costs exclusively from donations. It is unlikely that we will become rich in this way, but that is not our intention either. We do everything out of love and dedication. We are not profit oriented. Support Tagree so that the magazine remains ad-free and the monthly costs can be paid. Yes TAGREE, I love the cultural work you do, I donate to show you my sincere appreciation: