Stop violence against women - “A topic that has always concerned me and that I wanted to deal with artistically in view of the increase in acts of violence in the time of the pandemic.” The pictures present injured and desperate women in such a way that the viewer cannot escape the drama.
Blind by Hermann Fuchs
“If we are to fight discrimination and injustice against women we must start from the home for if a woman cannot be safe in her own house then she cannot be expected to feel safe anywhere.”
― Aysha Taryam
Stop Violence Against Women No1 by Hermann Fuchs
“Even now, I sometimes run over in my mind all the men who catcall me the moment I step out my door, the men who corner me on subway platforms, the man who reached under my dress at a parade once and slipped his finger beneath my underwear. I think of my father complaining to my mother that the dishes weren't washed, or of the time they fought over something stupid and he called her a camel to shut her up. I grew up with dozens of boys who would one day become the same kind of man. Sometimes the world is one long chain of men from whose anger there is no protection, an obstacle course I run to stay safe.”
― Zeyn Joukhadar
Stop Violence Against Women No5 by Hermann Fuchs
“The violence was so indescribable, so beyond my bank of experience, that my mind intervened — having no choice but to leave my flimsy body, where so much damage was possible.”
― Bianca Bowers
Dreams by Hermann Fuchs
“Today I wore a pair of faded old jeans and a plain grey baggy shirt. I hadn't even taken a shower, and I did not put on an ounce of makeup. I grabbed a worn out black oversized jacket to cover myself with even though it is warm outside. I have made conscious decisions lately to look like less of what I felt a male would want to see. I want to disappear.”
― Sierra D. Waters
Click on an image for full-size
The Austrian photographer Hermann Fuchs explored the medium of black-and-white photography theoretically and practically from 1976-1981.
"The theoretical basis was formed by a large number of books on the subjects of photography, positive/laboratory technology. Practical implementation was carried out with a Canon F1, metres of Ilford film material and my laboratory.
2005 „re-entry“ and until today theoretical and practical research of the medium digital photography and digital processing with Adobe Photoshop. The digital age opens up great innovative possibilities. Digital Imaging uses this potential. Many critics dismiss digital imaging as „gimmickry“, „arbitrariness“. Nothing is more serious!
Digital Imaging explores new possibilities of pictorial representation, stands for an aesthetic change of the original models, stands for the abstraction of the representational, and stands for change in the art scene.
What do I want? To provoke an intellectual examination of the works. To this end, the work must lead through emotion to the association and further to critical reflection. This succeeds through alienation or abstraction – through „peeling out“ the constituent elements of an object or their reinterpretation. In the digital world, I can use a variety of colours and forms that does not exist in the analogue world. This enables an aesthetic force that draws the viewer into a dialogue."
EXHIBITIONS AND EVENTS
- 2010-12: Cinematograph Linz Austria „speechlessness“
- 2011-03: Bildungshaus Jägermayrhof Linz Austria „structures and exclusion“
- 2011-09: Bildungshaus Jägermayrhof Linz Austria, group exhibition „social fairness“
- 2011-12: 1blick – galerie im vorhaus Hallein Austria „human images“
- 2013-02: Wissensturm Linz Austria, group exhibition „TOPOS or the change of the landscape“
- 2013-03: ABC Ansfelden Austria „Dark Materia“
- 2013-12: NIU Linz Austria „abstractions“
- 2014-07: Bezirksmuseum Herzogsburg – Braunau Austria „abstractions“
- 2014-09: kultus kellergasse – Braunau Austria „TOPOS – the designed space“
- 2015-05: Club-Galerie im uhof – Linz Austria „abstract realism“
- 2017-03: Rotunde der Salzburg AG – Salzburg. Together with brother Helmut Fuchs „Brothers In Arms“
- 2017-11: Shanghai Art Fair, China/Shanghai
- 2017-12: Dounan Art Museum, China/Kunming
- 2018-05: pashmin gallery Hamburg Germany, group exhibition „Reality – Illusion – Grotesque“
- 2019-02: Marc Rothko Art Centre, Daugavpils Latvia, group exhibition „BEAUTY IS TRUTH, TRUTH BEAUTY“
- 2019-03: Galerie M, Kirchstätten Austria „nature meets architecture“
- 2019-04: Galerie Zebra, Wien Austria: „nature meets architecture“
- 2019-06: Wissensturm, Linz Austria, group exhibition „appropriate art“
- 2020-01: Hong Art Museum, Chongqing/China, group exhibition