Violence and displacement - “The theme of violence and pain has preoccupied me time and again since I started working as an artist. Most of the works were abstract images that were meant to convey a sense of threat and pain. With the war against Ukraine, the images have become more concrete in order to limit the possibilities of interpretation.”
A heart for children by Hermann Fuchs
Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us.
Images of the war by Hermann Fuchs
War - An act of violence whose object is to constrain the enemy, to accomplish our will.
Where have they gone by Hermann Fuchs
Prejudice of any kind implies that you are identified with the thinking mind. It means you don't see the other human being anymore, but only your own concept of that human being. To reduce the aliveness of another human being to a concept is already a form of violence.
Face by Hermann Fuchs
There are no refugees, no displaced persons here…They are our guests and we treat them as such.
Click on an image for full-size
The Austrian photographer Hermann Fuchs explored the medium of black-and-white photography theoretically and practically from 1976-1981.
The theoretical basis was formed by a large number of books on the subjects of photography, photography, positive/laboratory technology. 2005 „re-entry“ and until today theoretical and practical research of the medium digital photography and digital processing with Adobe Photoshop. The digital age opens up great innovative possibilities. Digital Imaging uses this potential. Many critics dismiss digital imaging as „gimmickry“, „arbitrariness“. Nothing is more serious! Digital Imaging explores new possibilities of pictorial representation, stands for aesthetic change of the original models, stands for abstraction of the representational, and stands for change in the art scene. What do I want? To provoke an intellectual examination of the works. To this end, the work must lead through emotion to association and further to critical reflection. This succeeds through alienation or abstraction – through „peeling out“ the constituent elements of an object or their reinterpretation. In the digital world I can use a variety of colours and forms that does not exist in the analogue world. This enables an aesthetic force that draws the viewer into a dialogue.
EXHIBITIONS AND EVENTS
- 2022: That’s My World - Award Winning Photographers, group exhibiton, AW Gallerie, Frankfurt
- 2010-12: Cinematograph Linz Austria „speechlessness“
- 2011-03: Bildungshaus Jägermayrhof Linz Austria „structures and exclusion“
- 2011-09: Bildungshaus Jägermayrhof Linz Austria, group exhibition „social fairness“
- 2011-12: 1blick – galerie im vorhaus Hallein Austria „human images“
- 2013-02: Wissensturm Linz Austria, group exhibition „TOPOS or the change of the landscape“
- 2013-03: ABC Ansfelden Austria „Dark Materia“
- 2013-12: NIU Linz Austria „abstractions“
- 2014-07: Bezirksmuseum Herzogsburg – Braunau Austria „abstractions“
- 2014-09: kultus kellergasse – Braunau Austria „TOPOS – the designed space“
- 2015-05: Club-Galerie im uhof – Linz Austria „abstract realism“
- 2017-03: Rotunde der Salzburg AG – Salzburg. Together with brother Helmut Fuchs „Brothers In Arms“
- 2017-11: Shanghai Art Fair, China/Shanghai
- 2017-12: Dounan Art Museum, China/Kunming
- 2018-05: pashmin gallery Hamburg Germany, group exhibition „Reality – Illusion – Grotesque“
- 2019-02: Marc Rothko Art Centre, Daugavpils Latvia, group exhibition „BEAUTY IS TRUTH, TRUTH BEAUTY“
- 2019-03: Galerie M, Kirchstätten Austria „nature meets architecture“
- 2019-04: Galerie Zebra, Wien Austria: „nature meets architecture“
- 2019-06: Wissensturm, Linz Austria, group exhibition „appropriate art“
- 2020-01: Hong Art Museum, Chongqing/China, group exhibition
Journalism and running an online magazine costs money. Our online magazine is free of advertisements. We do everything out of love and dedication. We are not profit oriented. Support Tagree that the magazine remains ad-free and the monthly costs can be paid. TAGREE, I love your cultural work, I donate to show you my appreciation, voluntary, one-time or regular monthly or per quarter: