The basis of the work by Hermann Fuchs on abstract photography is not a conceptual but an aesthetic approach. “The intention is to further develop the understanding of abstract painting with photographic and image-forming means. In concept, I do not differ from the approach of abstract painting. However, digital image design enables a unique form of abstraction that cannot be achieved by painterly means. Only digital templates and digital editing tools are used. The aim is to aesthetically change the original artwork, to abstract the figurative and deale with colours and forms in a playful way.”
Threat by Hermann Fuchs
“Energy and motion made visible – memories arrested in space”
Popart No2 by Hermann Fuchs
“Form itself, even if completely abstract ... has its own inner sound.”
Defense No1 by Hermann Fuchs
“Abstraction allows man to see with his mind what he cannot see physically with his eyes....Abstract art enables the artist to perceive beyond the tangible, to extract the infinite out of the finite. It is the emancipation of the mind. It is an exploration into unknown areas.”
Hamargedon No2 by Hermann Fuchs
“Before, I could only guess of who I was. Now, thanks to my art, I know who I am”
Click on an image for full-size
The Austrian photographer Hermann Fuchs explored the medium of black-and-white photography theoretically and practically from 1976-1981.
"The theoretical basis was formed by a large number of books on the subjects of photography, positive/laboratory technology. Practical implementation was carried out with a Canon F1, metres of Ilford film material and my laboratory.
2005 „re-entry“ and until today theoretical and practical research of the medium digital photography and digital processing with Adobe Photoshop. The digital age opens up great innovative possibilities. Digital Imaging uses this potential. Many critics dismiss digital imaging as „gimmickry“, „arbitrariness“. Nothing is more serious!
Digital Imaging explores new possibilities of pictorial representation, stands for an aesthetic change of the original models, stands for the abstraction of the representational, and stands for change in the art scene.
What do I want? To provoke an intellectual examination of the works. To this end, the work must lead through emotion to the association and further to critical reflection. This succeeds through alienation or abstraction – through „peeling out“ the constituent elements of an object or their reinterpretation. In the digital world, I can use a variety of colours and forms that does not exist in the analogue world. This enables an aesthetic force that draws the viewer into a dialogue."
EXHIBITIONS AND EVENTS
- 2010-12: Cinematograph Linz Austria „speechlessness“
- 2011-03: Bildungshaus Jägermayrhof Linz Austria „structures and exclusion“
- 2011-09: Bildungshaus Jägermayrhof Linz Austria, group exhibition „social fairness“
- 2011-12: 1blick – galerie im vorhaus Hallein Austria „human images“
- 2013-02: Wissensturm Linz Austria, group exhibition „TOPOS or the change of the landscape“
- 2013-03: ABC Ansfelden Austria „Dark Materia“
- 2013-12: NIU Linz Austria „abstractions“
- 2014-07: Bezirksmuseum Herzogsburg – Braunau Austria „abstractions“
- 2014-09: kultus kellergasse – Braunau Austria „TOPOS – the designed space“
- 2015-05: Club-Galerie im uhof – Linz Austria „abstract realism“
- 2017-03: Rotunde der Salzburg AG – Salzburg. Together with brother Helmut Fuchs „Brothers In Arms“
- 2017-11: Shanghai Art Fair, China/Shanghai
- 2017-12: Dounan Art Museum, China/Kunming
- 2018-05: pashmin gallery Hamburg Germany, group exhibition „Reality – Illusion – Grotesque“
- 2019-02: Marc Rothko Art Centre, Daugavpils Latvia, group exhibition „BEAUTY IS TRUTH, TRUTH BEAUTY“
- 2019-03: Galerie M, Kirchstätten Austria „nature meets architecture“
- 2019-04: Galerie Zebra, Wien Austria: „nature meets architecture“
- 2019-06: Wissensturm, Linz Austria, group exhibition „appropriate art“
- 2020-01: Hong Art Museum, Chongqing/China, group exhibition