Young swimmers playing in the cool blue water pools of the brief summer season. The days are bright and long, but these sunlit months are fleeting, like childhood itself.
Sandrine Hermand Grisel watch them, aware, observant, spurt of water, successful or failed spins, dives or other prowesses frozen by the shutter, a moment captured and the frame in which they will remain trapped forever.
The water droplets merge with the rough edges of the rock and cement; somersaults are isolated instances in time, in water, like submarine sculptures. We perceive the movement and shape of the distorted bodies, some floating, some struggling, some appearing to drown, some triumphant, some breaking the water's surface like a Phoenix rising. Reality and poetry, lights and colors blend in a water ballet.
''Waterlilies'' is primarily a caress, a drop of love from a mother to her children.
Waterlilies (1) by Sandrine Hermand Grisel
The water-lily, in the midst of waters, opens its leaves and expands its petals, at the first pattering of the shower, and rejoices in the rain-drops with a quicker sympathy than the packed shrubs in the sandy desert.
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Waterlilies (2) by Sandrine Hermand Grisel
In a marshland amongst the crocodiles, there float beautiful water lilies! Even in the Hell, one can find the good and the beauty.
Mehmet Murat Ildan
Waterlilies (4) by Sandrine Hermand Grisel
It took me time to understand my water lilies. I had planted them for the pleasure of it; I grew them without ever thinking of painting them.
Sandrine Hermand-Grisel grew up in Paris, France and in London, UK. Influenced by her late mother's sculptures and her husbands paintings and films, she worked on several personal projects before her series Nocturnes was recognized in 2005 by the Prix Kodak de la Critique Photographique. In 2006 she moved with her family to the United States and began experimenting landscape photography with her series Somewhere and On the road.
Despite the diversity of her projects she has a unique, very intimate, relationship with her subjects. Photography provides her with a way to express her feelings, like in the series ''Nocturnes'' where she photographed only close friends and family members peacefully abandoning themselves in front of her camera. ''Somewhere'' is her dream of America, a road trip through her adopted country. And ''Waterlilies'' is full of joy and love for her two children as she watched them jumping and playing in pools over and over again. Sandrine Hermand-Grisel not only photographs what she loves, she breaks free from her own reality in her poetic vision of the world.
In 2013, she created the acclaimed website All About Photo and now spends most of her time discovering new talents while still working on personal projects. She is also the curator of AAP Magazine and the juror of photo competitions worldwide.
- 2018 - Art Basel, Miami, FL
- 2018 - 5th Biennial of Fine Art & Documentary Photography, Barcelona, Spain
- 2018 - Los Angeles Center of Photography, CA.
- 2018 - ICA Gallery, Tokyo, Japan.
- 2018 - Space Millepiani, Rome, Italy
- 2018 - Gray Loft Gallery, Oakland, CA
- 2017 - Alembic Gallery, Rome, Italy
- 2017 - ACCI Gallery, Berkeley, CA
- 2017 - Los Angeles Center of Photography, CA.
- 2017 - Providence Center for Photographic Arts, RI.
- 2017 - A Smith Gallery, Jonhson City, TX.
- 2016 - Summer Show, Rayko Photo Center, San Francisco, CA.
- 2016 - Solo Exhibition ''On the road'' Galerie Garby's, Paris 6.
- 2015 - SeeMe Digital Exhibition at the Musée du Louvre, Paris 8.
- 2015 - Fotofever, Carrousel du Louvre, Paris.
- 2015 - Solo Exhibition ''Somewhere'' Galerie Garby's, Paris 6.
- 2013 - Fotofever Photography Art Fair, Paris.
- 2012 - Fotofever Photography Art Fair, Brussels.
- 2011 - Limited Edition Square, Paris X.
- 2011 - Galerie de la Croix, La croix Valmer.
- 2010 - Le Pavé d'Orsay, Paris VII.
- 2010 - City Hall, SFAC Galleries, San Francisco, CA.
- 2010 - Viewpoint Gallery, Sacramento, CA.
- 2009 - Arles, France.
- 2009 - Centro, San Francisco
- 2009 - Contemporay photography Night, Paris VI.
- 2009 - Rayko Photo Center, San Francisco, CA.
- 2009 - Europ'art'09, Genève.
- 2008 - Arles, France.
- 2008 - Bateau Daphné, Paris V.
- 2008 - Contemporay photography Night, Paris VI.
- 2008 - Centre Iris, Paris III.
- 2008 - Red Union, San Francisco.
- 2007 - 40th Allauch Photo Fair, CNRS Paris XVI.
- 2007 - Rencontres Leica, Espace Commines Paris III.
- 2006 - Salon des Indépendances, Enghien les bains. (Festival)
- 2005 - Mairie du 9ème arrondissement ''Résolument 9'', Paris
- 2000 - Picto Bastille, Paris.
- 2000 - Culturel Center of Volvic.
- 2000 - Espace Bontemps, Gardanne.
- 1998 - Espace Nesle Paris VI (Mois Bis de la Photo).
- 1997 - Maison de la Culture au Luxembourg (FIAP).
- 1997 - Prix du Jury Ilford, touring exhibition in France.
- 2018 - 11th Julia Margaret Cameron Award
- 2018 - Expanding Boundaries Los Angeles Center of Photography.
- 2018 - Tokyo International Foto Awards - Honorable Mention.
- 2018 - 1st 2018 Artslant Prize Showcase Winner in Photography.
- 2017 - International Photography Awards - Honorable Mention.
- 2017 - Finalist Artavita Art Contest #24.
- 2017 - Juried Photography Exhibition Los Angeles Center of Photography.
- 2017 - 3rd Open Call Juried Photography Exhibition PCPA.
- 2016 - 9th Artslant Prize Showcase Winner in Photography.
- 2016 - Finalist ''Trees'' A Smith Gallery.
- 2016 - 9th International Color Awards- Honorable Mention - Fine Art.
- 2015 - PX3 2015 - Honorable Mention - Fine Art.
- 2015 - SEE ME - Fith Annual Exposure Award.
- 2015 - International Photography Awards - Honorable Mention.
- 2012 - International Photography Awards - Honorable Mention.
- 2012 - 3rd Artslant Showcase Winner.
- 2010 - International Photography Awards - Honorable Mention.
- 2010 - Call for Exhibition SFAC PhotoAlliance Night/Light.
- 2009 - International Photography Awards - Honorable Mention.
- 2008 - International Photography Awards - Honorable Mention.
- 2008 - 1st place Vis à Vis international.
- 2007 - Rencontres Leica Espace Commines.
- 2006 - 3rd place Leica Les Indépendances.
- 2005 - Prix Kodak de la Critique Photographique.
- 2001 - 2nd place Open Amateur Photography Contest of The International Library of Photography.
- 2000 - 5th place Fédération photographique de France.
- 2000 - Volvic ''Woman,Woman,Woman''.
- 2000 - Réponses Photo 2nd place ''Vos photos à la une''.
- 2000 - 1st place Prix Arc images.
- 1999 - Bourse du Talent Picto-Kodak.
- 1997 - Prix Ilford du Jury.
- 1997 - Réponses Photo 1st place ''Vos photos à la une''.
- 1997 - Honorary Mention10th Concours International de la Photographie pour la Jeunesse.
Loosenart 2018, Fusion Art 2018, Ultrashop 2018, Loosenart 2017, L'oeil de la photographie 2017, The Woven Tale 2017, Die Angst Magazine 2017, Float Photo Magazine 2017, Mowwgli 2017, Monthly Photography 2017, Silvershotz Magazine 2017, Lenscratch 2017, Corridor Elephant 2017, MyDailyPhotograph - Duncan Miller Gallery 2016, Lensculture 2016, C41 Magazine 2016, Artist Portfolio Magazine 2016, Private Magazine 2016, Square Magazine 2016, Positive Magazine 2016, The Artbo 2016, L'oeil de la photographie 2016, World Photography Network 2015, Lost in SF 2013, Artslant 2012, ArtBusiness 2009, Be-Art Magazine 2009, Mini Nude Bible (Book) 2008, Kodak Magazine 2006, Le Photographe Magazine 2006, Reponses Photo Magazine 2005, ELLE Magazine 2002, Photo et Video Numerique Magazine 2000, Réponses Photo Magazine 2000, Réponses Photo Magazine 1998, Ilford Magazine 1998, Photographie.com 1999, Reponses Photo Magazine 1997.
Member of the Jury / Curator:
- PhotoPlace Gallery: Curator for the Exhibition ''Open Call''
- 2021 - All About Photo: Juror for the Call for entry ''B&W''.
- 2021 - All About Photo: Curator for the Exhibition ''Solo Exhibition June 2021''
- 2021 - All About Photo: Juror for the Call for entry ''Portrait''.
- 2021 - Praxis Gallery: Curator for the Exhibition ''MONO-KROMATIK''.
- 2021 - All About Photo: Juror for the Call for entry ''Shadows''.
- 2021 - All About Photo: Curator for the Exhibition ''Solo Exhibition March 2021''
- 2021 - All About Photo: Curator for the Exhibition ''Solo Exhibition Fevbruary 2021''
- 2021 - All About Photo Awards 2021, The Mind's Eye. Member of the jury with Denis Dailleux, Alison
- 2020 - All About Photo: Juror for the Call for entry ''Streets''.
- 2020 - Praxis Gallery: Curator for the Exibition ''Narratives''.
- 2020 - All About Photo: Juror for the Call for entry ''Colors''.
- 2020 - All About Photo: Juror for the Call for entry ''Shapes''.
- 2020 - All About Photo: Curator for the Exibition ''Solo Exhibition Octobre 2020''.
- 2020 - All About Photo: Juror for the Call for entry ''B&W''.
- 2020 - All About Photo: Juror for the Call for entry ''Travels''.
- 2020 - All About Photo: Juror for the Call for entry ''Portrait''.
- 2020 - All About Photo Awards 2020, The Mind's Eye. Member of the jury with Laurent Baheux, Elisabeth Avedon, Julia Dean, Juli Lowe, Ann Jastrab, Alex Cammarano.
- 2019 - All About Photo: Juror for the Call for entry ''Shadows''.
- 2019 - Gomma Photography Grant. Member of the jury with Brigitte Schaller Art Director, LFI Leica Fotografie International; JH Engstrom and Margot Wallard - Atelier Smedsby; Marigold Warner- British Journal of Photography; Joao Linneu- Founder and Curator of VOID; Luca Desienna- founder of Gomma.
- 2019 - All About Photo: Juror for the Call for entry ''Street''.
- 2019 - Praxis Gallery: Curator for the Exhibition ''Mono-Kromatik''.
- 2019 - Member of the jury for the ''Minimalist Photography Awards''.
- 2019 - N.Y. Photo Curator: Curator for the show ''The Poetry of Shadows ''.
- 2019 - All About Photo: Juror for the Call for entry ''Wild''.
- 2019 - All About Photo: Juror for the Call for entry ''Black and White''.
- 2019 - All About Photo Awards 2018, The Mind's Eye. Member of the jury with John Rankin, Elisabeth Avedon, Henry Horenstein, Laura Geiser, Tariq Zaidi, Anna Van Lenten, Maxim Panés, Ann Jastrab, Alex Cammarano.
- 2018 - All About Photo: Juror for the Call for entry ''Colors''.
- 2018 - All About Photo: Juror for the Call for entry ''Shapes''.
- 2018 - All About Photo: Juror for the Call for entry ''Faces''.
- 2018 - All About Photo: Juror for the Call for entry ''Light''.
- 2018 - PhotoPlace Gallery: Juror for the Call for entry ''Black and White''.
- 2018 - Emerge Prize UK: Juror for the Photography category with Brett Rogers OBE: Director The Photographers' Gallery; James Hill: Photographer; Melissa DeWitt: Editor-in-Chief, Hotshoe Magazine; Michael Pritchard: Chief Executive The Royal Photographic Society and Nina Emett: Director FotoDocument.
- 2018 - All About Photo Awards 2018, The Mind's Eye. Member of the jury with Liu Bolin: Photographer and Artist; Eli Klein: Founder and director, Klein Sun Gallery NYC; Crista Dix: Founder and Director, Wall Space Creative Santa Barbara; Michael Itkoff: Cofounder, Daylight Books; Elisabeth Mouchy: Cofounder & CCO, Daylighted; Marco Gualazzini: Photographer, Winner All About Photo Awards 2017; Ann Jastrab: Editor-in-Chief, All About Photo, Curator, Writer & Educator
- 2017 - A Smith Gallery: Juror for the Call for entry ''Summertime''.
- 2017 - Darkroom Gallery: Juror for the Call for entry ''Le Paysage''.
- 2017 - L.A. Photo Curator: Curator for the show ''Texture''.
- 2017 - 10th Annual International Plastic Camera Show.
Member of the jury with Ann Jastrab: Gallery Director RayKo Photo Center, Photographer & Educator.
- 2017 - All About Photo Awards 2017, The Mind's Eye. Member of the jury with Beatrice Chassepot: Founder & Editor be-Art magazine.
Julien Chatelin: Photographer & All About Photo Photographer of the Year 2016; James Dooley: Executive Administrator Alexia Foundation, Former Director of Photography, Newsday, former assistant photo editor, The Los Angeles Times; Susan Dooley: Photographer, Educator & Curator; Eileen Gittins: Founder and Executive Chairman of Blurb; Ann Jastrab: Gallery Director RayKo Photo Center, Photographer & Educator; Aline Smithson: Photographer, Founder & Editor Lenscratch; Judy Walgren: Pulitzer Prize Winner, Photographer, Founder & Editor ViewFind; Sabine Weiss: Photographer.
- 2016 - The Young Photographer Award. Member of the jury with: Isabelle Mesnil Gallerist, Barbara Davidson Photo journalist, Ken Gonzales-Day Photographer, Beatrice Chassepot, Art Critic.
- 2016 - All About Photo Awards 2016, The Mind's Eye. Member of the jury with: Julia Fullerton-Batten: Photographer; Frank Horvat: Photographer; Ann Jastrab: Gallery Director RayKo Photo Center; Ed Kashi: Photojournalist, Filmmaker and Educator VII Photo Agency; Jules Maeght: Founder and Gallery Director Jules Maeght; Klavdij Sluban: Photographer & Educator; Keiichi Tahara: Photographer, Sculptor and Painter of Light; Cara Weston: Photographer & Curator.
- 2013 - ongoing - All About Photo Editor & Curator
- 2021 - NPR
- 2018 - The Woven Tale Press
- 2018 - Ultrashop
- 2017 - Loosenart
- 2017 - Mowwgli
- 2017 - Monthly Photography Magazine
- 2017 - Silvershotz Magazine
- 2016 - The Plus Magazine
- 2015 - Photographer Spotlight by World Photography Network
- 2015 - All About Photo
- 2013 - Lost in SF
- 2012 - Actuphoto Interview by Roland Quilici
- 2005 - Arrimage Photo
- 2018 - Sea Sketches
- 2012 - Waterlilies
- 2009 - Somewhere
- 2007 - Nudes
- 2007 - Nude Bible
New York, San Francisco, Londres, Paris, Berlin, Milan.
Also on the Net:
Artslant.com, Tatoolagon.com, Artlimited.net, Artmajeur.com, Actuphoto.com, Photo.box.sk, ArtBusiness.com, itisphoto.com, iphotochannel.com, Photographie.com, arrimagephoto.com, Photobis.com, wpnetwork.net, Webculture.org, beartmagazine.com, ShutterCity.com, Artotal.com, Artscontact.com, shashingallery.com, Incubuschoice.com, charlet-photographies.com, Multimania.com, Photonum.com, Spe.com, Lamono, Cada dia, PF Magazine, Don't Take Pictures, L.A.Photo Curator, This Isn't Happiness, iphotochannel, PDN, Gomma Magazine, Daylighted, Photo.net, Emmanuel Chaussade, Al Bordo Della Notte, Artavita, artnews.org, Vis a Vis Photo, LostinSF, Actuphoto.com, SFAC Galleries, Blurb, In the Flesh, iStock/Getty contributor...
Represented in France by Charlet-Photographies
Journalism and running an online magazine costs money. Our online magazine is free of advertisements – we finance our costs exclusively from donations. It is unlikely that we will become rich in this way, but that is not our intention either. We do everything out of love and dedication. We are not profit oriented. Support Tagree so that the magazine remains ad-free and the monthly costs can be paid. Yes TAGREE, I love the cultural work you do, I donate to show you my sincere appreciation: