Emergence by Gigi Chung
by Gigi Chung
Gigi Chung is a San Francisco-based fine-art photographer who mainly works in medium-format digital photography. She has come to focus on architectural abstracts with a minimalistic approach. She finds the juxtaposition of light, shadows and lines in architecture fascinating. This continues to inspire her for new ideas. Her artwork has been exhibited in multiple galleries and museums in Athens, Chania, Cormons, Glasgow, Greenville, Portland, Minneapolis, Taipei, Trieste, Tokyo, San Francisco and Vermont. Some of Chungʼs recent accolades include being selected as Architecture Series Winner in the 14th Julia Margaret Cameron Awards, Golden Design Award, Top 50 Designers And The Most Popular Design in Photography and Photo Manipulation Category in Novum Design Awards.
“Emergence” is an ongoing photographic project of architectural abstraction in black and white. Started in 2017, the collection surveys the visual language of shape, form, line and the absence of color in a built environment. Departing from the existing reality, these monochrome architectural abstracts create compositions independent of time and space. The artist drew her inspiration from Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles. Designed by Frank Gehry, this venue has a strong nautical theme. The intent of the collection is to present the edifices as ships and yachts emerging from the ocean, bringing the facades to light.
Influenced by her father who taught architecture in the university and symbolic representation by Hokusai, the artist employs a fine-art approach to exaggerate curves, folds and structures resembling the iconic waves painted by Hokusai.
Fascinated by the interplay of light and shadows, she has gone through in-depth studies of when and how the sunlight shines on buildings. The scouting research often involves multiple location visits. This calculated methodology enables higher precision when capturing images. The overall vision is to extract and distill from the primary design expression. The intricate study of undulating metallic surfaces invites viewers to endless imaginations and experience the unique spatial relationship of a built environment.
- Cityscape Series Winner, 15th Julia Margaret Cameron Awards
- Architectural Series Winner, 14th Julia Margaret Cameron Awards
- Golden Design Award, Top 50 Designers, The Most Popular Design in Photography and Photo Manipulation, Novum Design Awards 2019
- Bronze Winner, People Events Category, Budapest International Foto Awards 2019
- Silver Winner, Architecture Buildings and Personal Portfolio, Moscow International Foto Awards 2019
- First Place Winner, Portfolio Architecture And Architecture Buildings Categories, Umbra International Photography Awards 2019
- Silver Winner, Personal Portfolio, Tokyo International Foto Awards 2019
- Bronze Winner, Portfolio People Book, Tokyo International Foto Awards 2019
- Architectural Series Winner, 12th Julia Margaret Cameron Awards
- Gold Winner, Fine Art Portfolio, Tokyo International Foto Awards 2018
Publications / Press 2020
- “Emergence“ online exhibition, Tagree Magazine
- “Beyond The Plane” color online exhibition, Tagree Magazine
- “Dimension Conversation” monochrome online exhibition, Tagree Magazine
- Featured Artist, Photographize Magazine
- “Architectural Photography” Group Exhibition, Southeast Center For Photography, Greensville
- “Inspired with Hasselblad” Featured Artist, Hasselblad
- “Emergence” Solo Exhibition, Hasselblad Japan Tokyo Store Gallery
- “Emergence” Group Exhibition, Trieste Photo Days, Museo del Territorio, Cormons and Trieste, Italy
- 2nd Chania International Photo Festival 2019, Greece
- Fine Art Group Exhibition, Blank Wall Gallery, Athens
- Cityscape, Monochrome Group Exhibitions, The Glasgow Gallery Of Photography
- Wonder Foto Day, Taipei
- London Photo Show, 5th Base Gallery, London
- Landscape and Architecture, Black Box Gallery, Portland
- Black and White Group Exhibition, Blank Wall Gallery, Athens
- Grayscale: A Picture Show, Black Box Gallery, Portland
- Contemporary Nude, Southeast Center For Photography, Greenville
- Mono-Kromatik Group Exhibition, Praxis Gallery, Minneapolis
- 1st Chania International Photo Festival 2018, Greece
- Capturing The Light Group Exhibition, PhotoPlace Gallery, Vermont
- Landscape Exhibition, Blank Wall Gallery, Greece
- Radical Buildings, Tate Modern, London
Journalism and running an online magazine costs money. Our online magazine is free of advertisements – we finance our costs exclusively from donations. If you like this contribution you can support our cultural work here: Love art – take part!